World Famous Art

Conspirator

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 10:39 pm » by Eldorado

Domdabears wrote:Most here know what I look like. My picture used to be my avatar.

mirror mirror on the wall, what does dom look like when the mask falls?......JK

here's my face shot, DOM....wanted to say I'm not one of the "anonymous"......want you guys to remember me when I have a case of police assisted suicide on my hands...LOL

awesome art expose.....want that chair with the symbols on it....was it one solid piece of wood???
“The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)

Super Moderator

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 11:21 pm » by Seahawk

Cool, Dom! That's my Alma mater- not the museum, the school. I've spent hours and hours in the institute. Fantastic place.

This one is world famous, and a favorite of mine. The size of the painting is amazingly huge. The Pointillist, Geoges Seurat. The painting is "Sunday afternoon on the island of La Grande Jatte." They made a Broadway musical about, and around this painting, and the artist, called "Sunday in the park with George." I saw it with Mandy Patentkin and Bernadette Peters. It was a really great show. They called this style Pointillism, because the whole painting is made up of thousands of tiny dots of color.

I don't know who the artist is, on this one, but it's bad assed.
:flop:

This is my second favorite artist of all time.

Andy Warhol was a strange bird, but had some of the greatest art of all time- imo. I've read tons of books about the whole "Factory" and "Studio 54" scene. Great stuff. He did a whole series of paintings ( actually silk screens) with a disaster theme- like car crashes, and things like that. Strange, but really cool- in a twisted sort of way. I saw the traveling show a few years ago, at the Institute. See it, it you ever get a chance- and if twisted stuff appeals to you. :twisted:

One of the most interesting things about his work- imo- is that so many of his works were actually completed by some of his "Factory" workers. His whole history- the people he hung out with, the whole scene he was involved with, his photography collection, and on and on, was really fascinating. I would have liked to have been there. :) He was really involved with the Velvet Underground, and Lou Reed.

Most of you know this one: This particular video is cool, because it's "a tribute to lou reed's seminal "walk on the wild side" featuring photos of holly, candy, joe and jackie, (some of Andy's "Superstars") and deleted footage from "ciao! manhattan". Ciao! Manhattan is a 1972 American avant garde film starring Edie Sedgwick, also one of Andy Warhol's "Superstars." One of his groupies- Valerie Solanis- would later shoot him, almost killing him. http://www.warholstars.org/chron/andydies68n33.html This video is a great piece of art, in it's own right.

Upload to Disclose.tv

and another good one, by The Velvet Underground.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Some of his films are pretty strange- Like "Empire" for example, hours of just the Empire State Building. Meh! Some of them were pretty cool, though. :flop:

If the homo-erotic offends you, don't watch this. :P

Andy Warhol. Screen Tests, Empire, Sleep, Kiss, Eat e Blow Job. Trilha Sonora "Heroin by Velvet Underground".

Upload to Disclose.tv

Warhol also did some famous Rolling Stones album covers, among others.

Lol. The original release of these actually had a real zipper on the pants.

Giacometti is one of my favorite mid-century Italian sculptors. He did some awesome work. You should look up some of his other pieces. I also like Henry Moore and John Smith- you probably saw some of their work there, too.

This is "Night Hawks" :P by Edward Hopper. A great 20th century American Realist painter. I really like his work a lot.

Hopper Self Portrait

Picasso is my all time favorite artist. A genius, for sure. He was an asshole- as far as women were concerned, heheh, but man, what an artist!!! His "Blue Period" is renown, but I don't care for it much. I think that his Cubist, and abstract work was brilliant.

Two of his most acclaimed paintings.

Guernica- a political piece, that is just amazing- in my estimation.

and Demoiselles D'Avignon.

Below are two of his pieces that I copied. I painted the self portrait- oil, and the second is pastel and colored pencil. I just took the pics of them with my droid. They look better, generally, more vibrant, in person. I didn't light them very well, but you get the picture. (ar ar)

His self- portrait- by me.

I forget what this one is called. Come to think of it, I don't remember if it is Picasso, or Braque. Anyway...

I don't know this guys work very well, but it's called "The Indestructible," by Evergood- I think from the 40's. His work reminds me of Edvard Munch, and some of his contemporaries. Earlier artists.

Image[/quote]

Edvard Munch's "Scream," just sold last month for almost $120 million dollars. You all know that one.

Oops!

Here we go.

Great thread, Dom! :flop:

:cheers:

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Conspirator

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 11:25 pm » by Yuya63

Ha!! Eldorado. I admit, i pictured you with darker skin. My bad. Not that that would be bad, it's just your name here implies it.

Super Moderator

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 11:36 pm » by domdabears

God damn, seahawk. Nice post.

That monk sculpture is just awesome. When you first see it, that's all you see down a long hall. It's the coolest thing.

You're walking down the hall and there's this dark shadowed person just staring at you. It's almost ghostly.

And this one here is famous to me, because it's in the movie, Ferris Bueller's Day off. The picture is made up of thousands or millions of dots. Something like that. Can't remember. I just know it's all dots.

I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 11:44 pm » by domdabears

Eldorado wrote:
Domdabears wrote:Most here know what I look like. My picture used to be my avatar.

mirror mirror on the wall, what does dom look like when the mask falls?......JK

here's my face shot, DOM....wanted to say I'm not one of the "anonymous"......want you guys to remember me when I have a case of police assisted suicide on my hands...LOL

awesome art expose.....want that chair with the symbols on it....was it one solid piece of wood???

:flop:

The chair, I don't know. I didn't read anything about it. I just took the picture.

They've got so much stuff there. It's all pretty much priceless. Stuff from 1000 B.C. and up. The place is so huge, I didn't even see all of it.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Super Moderator

PostTue Jun 12, 2012 11:48 pm » by domdabears

Yesterday was actually the first time I've ever been there. That was probably one of the biggest attractions in Chicago that I've never been to. Never even on a school field trip either. The place is so huge I didn't even see everything. I was there for a few hours too.
I wanna be a Warhol
Displayed on your wall
Still hung up on you

Conspirator

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 5:20 am » by Iamthatiam

Domdabears wrote:Image

Err, yes, it is a good looking pic, mang! :roll:

Haha, 'Night bro!!

:cheers:

"The Heaven's Lights are fed by the energy generated inside the furnaces of Hell; I AM One Conductive Wire! "

Super Moderator

PostSun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 am » by Seahawk

Domdabears wrote:God damn, seahawk. Nice post.

That monk sculpture is just awesome. When you first see it, that's all you see down a long hall. It's the coolest thing.

You're walking down the hall and there's this dark shadowed person just staring at you. It's almost ghostly.

And this one here is famous to me, because it's in the movie, Ferris Bueller's Day off. The picture is made up of thousands or millions of dots. Something like that. Can't remember. I just know it's all dots.

Yeah, thanks Dom. :flop: Did you read it? lol.

the "thousands or millions of dots" is called Pointillism. I wonder if anyone actually read my post, or noticed that two of those art pieces in the post are mine- or copies that I made- and no, not on a copy machine. lol. Anyway, I did like this thread. You should add to it.

Upload to Disclose.tv

We gather knowledge faster than we gather wisdom. - William Bell

Previous