Your car is spying on you!!!!

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 8:08 pm » by Savwafair2012

[i Did you know your car has a black box? [Update]][/i]
While it is common knowledge that major airlines always refer to their “black box” in the event of a crash, very few people may realize that most modern cars also come equipped with a black box of their own. Leftlane friend and auto analyst, Lauren Fix, addresses questions concerning the uses and limitations of automotive black boxes.

With the recent surge in concerns over unintended acceleration cases in all automobiles, but particularly with Toyota and Lexus models, the topic of black boxes has surfaced in the public’s eye. Likely because automakers fear their consumers would only assume negative and incriminating uses could come from a car’s black box, they all do very little to advertise their widespread use.

Upload to Disclose.tv

Beginning in the late 1990s auto manufacturers began installing black boxes, or electronic data recorders (EDR), on most new vehicles. The first intention of these devices was to be used to record data for mechanics to be able to diagnose problems, but in time, and in light of recent events, the devices are being utilized to determine the events leading up to the moment of a crash.

NHTSA released a formal Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in 2004, and later in 2006 NHTSA released a formal ruling that totaled 207 pages. The ruling does not require manufacturers install black boxes in vehicles, as the trend showed that 85 percent of vehicles would have them already. Interestingly, however, the mandate did enact a mandatory set standards for the black boxes that were to be put in vehicles on an optional basis.

The truth is, black boxes in modern cars are used to record only the last seconds of a vehicles’ actions prior to impact – serving as a source of answers for basic questions about the vehicle’s rate of travel, whether or not the driver was accelerating or breaking and for how long. As Lauren Fix explains, the device stops short of tracking your whereabouts or other potentially privacy-invasive data sets.

FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Initiate

PostThu Feb 25, 2010 9:23 pm » by Govtslave

Think of the ramifications of GM's OnStar system......... they can talk back and forth with you via satellite, know exactly where you are, control the function of your car, etc. So, your driving along having an argument with your wife or girlfriend and someone at OnStar is listening to it all.........?

Initiate

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 am » by Shadowkhas

Agreed. I trust OnStar and other systems of that sort much less than the last-moment recording black boxes.

Initiate

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 am » by Lisakitty

My car isn't spying on me, because I gave up my car, a little over 5 years ago ....... I moved to a place, where I found a job that is a 10 minute walk from my house, plus the mall and grocery store are a 15 minute walk, so I don't miss having a car.

Master Conspirator

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 am » by Lowsix

Wow... good luck getting out of Dodge on foot if the S ever hits the F..

That's a horrifying thought to me.
I'll never go without independent transportation.
warløckmitbladderinfection wrote:blasphemous new gehenna inhabitant makes god sad...

Master Conspirator
Location: Packing my stuff and moving to Denver like you should be doing

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 am » by Savwafair2012

WELL LA TI DAA :flop:
Thats not the case for 85% of Americans and 60% of Europe :flop:
FAIR USE NOTICE.
Section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, . http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

Writer

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 am » by Turbobilly

Cars with air bags have this there is usually a silver metal box mounted on the floor, under the dash in the center of the car or truck. sometimes under the console or seat. Any box with an yellow plug, is a part of the airbag system, since airbags were first put in cars cops sometimes use the data for crash data such as speed, to see if you hit the brake or gas.
I learned this years ago, working as a automotive dismantler, I have removed them for cops, when it has been a bad one, peeling the steel apart, found lots of other things too in the wrecks. Phones, laptops, bags of smoke, and even unbroken bottles of booze.
But this has been used since airbags came in to use. :wink:

Conspirator

PostFri Feb 26, 2010 3:48 am » by Shaggietrip

I have 2 cars both before 1990 and also I walk to work, due to proximity.Not all can walk so buy an older car. Gotta be aware of the big brother they always try to sneek in on ya.
ImageImage
Star watchers,Sun,Moon or just space in interest. https://www.darkskywatcher.com/dsw74.html

Initiate

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 11:24 pm » by Lisakitty

So, what happens when you all get into your vehicles and drive, only to get bottled up in traffic, because everyone else got into their vehicles and headed in the same direction as you did, and traffic comes to a complete halt, and of course the traffic just isn't going to move anytime soon. Meanwhile the tsunami is getting closer and higher, toward where you are, stuck on the highway. Something to think about .... :think:

Conspirator

PostWed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm » by sockpuppet

People have been doing this voluntarily for years, in order to get insurance breaks!

http://www.insureme.com/auto-insurance/ ... -insurance
* Brush up on state laws. Know state driving and insurance rules, as well as their effect on teen car insurance quotes, and practice them while driving.
* Enforce safety and low quotes by making your teen participate in Graduated Driver Licensing, a three-step program that helps new drivers practice car driving under lower-risk conditions before becoming fully car licensed and requesting quotes.
* Set and enforce rules for when, where, how and with whom the teen may drive the car—and practice the same guidelines in the car yourself—to help keep teen quotes low.
* Ask your car insurance company about electronic tracking devices that monitor the way your teen drives the car—and their effect on quotes. Then use the information gathered to teach teen drivers safe habits and save money with low teen quotes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouyVS6HOFeo