FRANKFURT, Germany -- Two U.S. airmen have been killed and two other folks had been wounded at Frankfurt airport when a guy opened fire on them at close assortment with a handgun, the first these kinds of assault on American forces in Germany in a quarter century.
President Barack Obama known as the Wednesday shooting an "outrageous act."
The alleged assailant, determined as a 21-year-old Kosovo male, was taken quickly into custody and was getting questioned by authorities, explained Frankfurt police spokesman Manfred Fuellhardt.
Family members members in Kosovo explained the suspect as a devout Muslim, who was born and raised in Germany and labored at the airport.
The attacker received into an argument with airmen external their military bus just before opening fire, killing the bus driver and one other serviceman, and wounding two others, one of whom was in life-threatening condition, Fuellhardt said. He explained the attacker also briefly entered the bus.
The suspect then fled into the airport terminal, where he was rapidly grabbed by two federal police officers and a U.S. airman who had pursued him into the building, authorities said. He was disarmed with out incident.
The sufferers, component of a group of about a dozen members of an Air Force military police and base security device, had just arrived from England, the Air Force said.
They had landed at Frankfurt airport, one of Europe's busiest, and were waiting outside Terminal 2 to be pushed to nearby Ramstein Air Base, which is often utilised as a logistical hub for functions in Afghanistan and Iraq. The two wounded airmen had been taken to a hospital.
"I am saddened and I am outraged by this attack," Obama explained at the White House. "I want most people to understand that we will spare no hard work in studying how this outrageous act took place."
In Berlin, German Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed sympathy for the sufferers and their families and pledged that Germany would do everything in its power to investigate the crime. "It is a awful function," she stated.
A tall blue barrier was erected around the bus as forensic professionals examined it, and removed two bodies from the vehicle. As the bus was later towed absent, a bullet hole was seen by way of the driver's side window.
The dead and wounded U.S. airmen ended up not discovered pending notification of their people. A Pentagon spokesman, Lt. Col. Todd Vician, explained the airmen had been on their way to an abroad deployment to Afghanistan, Iraq or elsewhere.
Boris Rhein, the leading security official in the German state of Hesse, told German media there have been no indications of a terrorist assault.
Nonetheless, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee, Rep. Patrick Meehan, mentioned in Washington that it looked like a terrorist assault. The chairman of the subcommittee that focuses on terrorism and intelligence added he did not have all the facts.
Kosovo Interior Minister Bajram Rexhepi determined the suspect as Arif Uka, a Kosovo citizen from the northern town of Mitrovica.
In Mitrovica, family members identified him as Arid Uka, declaring that he was born and educated in Germany where his family moved some forty years ago ( via wsvn.com ).