Mysterious stone carvings made hundreds of years back and lately uncovered in an excavation beneath Jerusalem have archaeologists stumped.
Israeli diggers who uncovered a complex of rooms carved into the bedrock in the oldest area of the town lately located the markings: Three "V" styles minimize next to every other into the limestone ground of one of the rooms, about 2 inches (5 centimeters) deep and 20 inches (fifty centimeters) long. There had been no finds to provide any clues pointing to the id of who made them or what goal they served.
The archaeologists in cost of the dig know so small that they have been unable even to posit a theory about their nature, said Eli Shukron, one of the two directors of the dig.
"The markings are extremely odd, and extremely intriguing. I have in no way witnessed something like them," Shukron stated.
The shapes ended up discovered in a dig recognized as the Metropolis of David, a politically vulnerable excavation conducted by Israeli govt archaeologists and funded by a nationalist Jewish group under the Palestinian community of Silwan in east Jerusalem. The rooms have been unearthed as portion of the excavation of fortifications around the historical city's only organic h2o source, the Gihon spring.
It is attainable, the dig's archaeologists say, that when the markings were made at minimum 2,800 years back the designs might have accommodated some kind of wood framework that stood inside of them, or they may have served some other objective on their own. They might have had a ritual operate or one that was entirely mundane. Archaeologists confronted by a curious artifact can usually at minimum venture a guess about its nature, but in this case no one, such as external professionals consulted by Shukron and the dig's co-director, archaeologists with many years of experience amongst them, has any notion.
There appears to be at least one other historical marking of the identical form at the site. A century-previous map of an expedition led by the British explorer Montague Parker, who searched for the lost treasures of the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem amongst 1909 and 1911, incorporates the shape of a "V" drawn in an underground channel not much absent. Modern day archaeologists haven't excavated that location yet.
Ceramic shards identified in the rooms indicate they had been last utilized about 800 B.C., with Jerusalem beneath the rule of Judean kings, the dig's archaeologists say ( via huffingtonpost.com ).