N. Korea confirms 'successful' 3rd nuclear test
Pyongyang says the move was part of an effort to protect its national security and sovereignty, citing US opposition to the recent North Korean space launch.
"It was confirmed that the nuclear test – that was carried out at a high level in a safe and perfect manner using a miniaturized and lighter nuclear device with greater explosive force than previously – did not pose any negative impact on the surrounding ecological environment," North Korea's KCNA state news agency said.
South Korean President-elect Park Geun-hye strongly condemned the move. She said her incoming administration would not tolerate a nuclear-armed North Korea “under any circumstances,” and pledged to enact strong deterrence measures against Pyongyang's nuclear program.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry has urged all parties involved to reduce tensions and solve the issue through dialogue in the framework of six-party talks. It also expressed “firm opposition” to the test, called on North Korea not to take any actions that would aggravate the situation, and to “honor its commitment to denuclearization”.
N. Korea may conduct additional nuclear test: Seoul spy agency
South Korea on alert for additional N. Korea nuclear test, says Defense Ministery
Sources and more information:
GeoEye Satellite Image January 23, 2013 Punggye-ri Nuclear Test Facility in North Korea A North Korean state media outlet has accused the US of "jumping to conclusions" that Pyongyang will carry out a third nuclear test. Weekly magazine Tongil Sinbo said Washington and South Korea are getting worked up over an assumption.
Map: Korea, Democratic People S Republic Of North Korea has conducted an apparent nuclear test after weeks of threats, sparking alarm across north Asia. The unconfirmed detonation was caused by what South Korea calls an artificial earthquake of between magnitude-4.9 and 5.1, sending shockwaves through the Korean peninsula.
( via rt.com )
No comments yet.