LIVE - NASA's rover set to land on Mars

NASA’s Perseverance rover, the biggest, most advanced rover to date, is headed toward a landing on Mars Thursday in a mission to search for signs of ancient life on the red planet.

The landing is expected to happen soon. Ground controllers at the space agency’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, settled in nervously for the rover’s descent to the surface of Mars, long a deathtrap for incoming spacecraft.

WATCH LIVE

RAW FEED OF MISSION CONTROL

6 Likes

Duplicate post…

Not for another hour and half. unless you wanna watch a hot Spanish chick talk. Im in

Very neat. Hard to believe we can land probes on other planets sometimes.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Just happened to drop by at the right time and catch it. Meant to set an alarm last night but forgot.

Question: Is it me or did those pictures come back a little fast? I mean it’s a 2 second delay from the moon during Apollo but these came back pretty fast.
What’s the delay time from Mars?

It does not, it’s a constant stream of data which is time delayed. Also, the first images are very low-res to save data on the transmission.

First images (front and read cams):

A constant data stream.
So from the time of landing it takes a picture. There’s no time to orientate the dish for transmission? I mean even a fraction off it would send it beyond earth. Yet it lands, sends a picture and gets it here within a few minutes if that?

I’ll re-watch it to get a better time between landing and receiving.

Thanks for the reply

The first image comes in 2:15.62 after touch down. High Res 2:38 later.
They did mention rover was sending signals through the Mars Orbiter.

Still it seems faster than it should be for some reason. Maybe it’s just me. I haven’t had too many reasons to trust this organization.

LIEve…thats that

Third image:

2 Likes

Oh Jesus, here we go…

All of this hype about landing the rover on Mars, come on they spend all that money on designing the rover and more money on actually getting it there, so they tell us normal folks that they are wanting to explore a particular region of the surface of the planet for signs of a lake bed that’s just to keep us quiet isn’t it and to justify these missions, what are the real purposes of these missions to Mars the ones that they aren’t telling us? So there’s this race going on between the Russians the Chinese and the Americans to get their vehicles on the planet to explore it, what for just water or signs of previous life? So when or if they find something really interesting do they tell the general public or keep it a secret, because by telling us these other things means every man and his dog is going to know and this is where the secrecy begins together with the money and the power and the greed then, another war of words begins and before you know it we have the start of another war because those are our things as we found then first and so on and so forth.
To be honest do we the general public really care about landing on Mars about what resources it has or what past it had? No not really, why not spend that money on putting the home planet in order first as people the world over are struggling.

More images released:

1 Like

LOL… You American’s still wearing masks??? Perth, Zero masks needed in Public. Australia for the win.

If I was In charge at NASA, the next time astronauts went to the Moon, I would schedule the return landing for April 1st, and have all staff mandatory dress like Apes, just for shits and giggles.
amPYv2v_700b (2)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.