Revealed: Cambodia’s vast medieval cities hidden beneath the jungle

Archaeologists in Cambodia have found multiple, previously undocumented medieval cities not far from the ancient temple city of Angkor Wat, the Guardian can reveal, in groundbreaking discoveries that promise to upend key assumptions about south-east Asia’s history…

The Australian archaeologist Dr Damian Evans, whose findings will be published in the Journal of Archaeological Science, will announce that cutting-edge airborne laser scanning technology has revealed multiple cities between 900 and 1,400 years old beneath the tropical forest floor, some of which rival the size of Cambodia’s capital, Phnom Penh…

Archaeological researcher Piphal Heng, who studies Cambodian settlement history, told Ars that the LiDAR maps peeled back the forest canopy to reveal meticulous grids of highways and low-density neighbourhoods of thousands of houses and pools of water. There was “a complex urban grid system that extended outside the walls of Angkor Thom and other large temple complexes such as Angkor Wat, Preah Khan, and Ta Prohm,” he said. With the new data, scientists had solid evidence that the city of Angkor sprawled over an area of at least 40 to 50 square km. It was home to almost a million people. The scattered, moated complexes like Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom were merely the most enduring features of what we now know was the biggest city on Earth during the 12th and 13th centuries…

Cheers guys :beers:

10 Likes

Now THAT’s what Im talkn Bout WillIs :grinning::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yeah it is :rofl:…love these finds :beers:

1 Like

Coolio Skips…

1 Like

Cheers and happy New Years Brend :beers:

1 Like

Bacatcha Luv :two_hearts:

1 Like

So far so good apart from all the rain :beers:

1 Like

Very Cool discovery. I have Visited Angkor Wat it is such an awe inspiring place.

2 Likes

nother wee cracker Skips, thanks. alot of them look like pc chips??? … :beers:

1 Like

It looks like it would be from the images I’ve seen…one of the cooking shows a while back travelled around the area, looks a really special place :beers:

Cheers mate, yeah there’s a few places around that look the same as chips…I reckon there’s still plenty more to come in and around Angkor :beers:

Thanks, Skippy - the article gives me hope that other “lost” cities will be found as LIDAR is used more around the globe. I think they will find more things than archeologists will be able to excavate for 100 years, but at least it now gives us a better idea of how things were laid out and how many people were actually involved.

1 Like

No drama at all mate…these are the finds that excite me the most, due to the fact the potential of finding more is so great :beers:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.