There's a 50% Chance The World Is A Computer Simulation Created By A Highly Advanced Civilization

What if everything once thought about the world was wrong and its all just one big computer simulation?

Maybe everyone being controlled by an advanced race on a dystopian planet. While this may sound quite far-fetched, like a science fiction story straight out of ‘The Matrix’, it’s becoming more and more accepted and being seriously discussed in the scientific world.

Bostrom’s Dilemma

Perhaps one of the most influential researchers on this topic is Nick Bostrom, a philosopher from the University of Oxford. He is largely known for his influential 2003 paper setting out three propositions, one of which has to be true. These later became known as Bostrom’s trilemma.

1. Civilizations usually go extinct before developing the capability of creating reality simulations.
  2. Advanced civilizations usually have no interest in creating reality simulations.
  3. We’re almost certainly living inside a computer simulation.

While controversial, he might be on to something. To delve deeper into these propositions, Columbia University astronomer, David Kipping, decided to analyse them. Reportedly, he argues that there is a 50/50 chance that the entire human race is nothing but a computer simulation to a more advanced race or higher power.

Analysis

Looking at the three propositions, Kipping says that the first two - Civilizations usually go extinct before developing the capability of creating reality simulations and advanced civilizations usually have no interest in creating reality simulations, could actually be combined into one as the end result is the same - the world is real and not a simulation. The third proposition - we’re almost certainly living inside a computer simulation, gives the alternative result that nothing is real.

After crunching the numbers the astronomer believes there’s only a 50% chance the world is real. However, if humans were able to create a convincing computer simulation, such as the hypothesised one, then those odds would drastically change. It would prove that creating a convincing simulation is possible and is no longer just a theory. Some argue that, with the technological advancements being made in recent years, it won’t be long before scientists will be able to tell for sure whether or not the world actually exists.

While it’s currently not actually testable to definitively say whether or not we are all in a computer simulation, the theories are quite strong. If it’s not falsifiable though, how can you claim it’s really science? Hopefully we will be able to research this further and come up with some concrete evidence to prove either hypothesis. Technology has come a long way and it won’t be long before we have that capability. Until then though, we’ll just have to settle for not knowing if we’re real or nothing but a simulation.

Sources:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-we-live-in-a-simulation-chances-are-about-50-50/
https://academic.oup.com/pq/article-abstract/53/211/243/1610975

4 Likes

Well giving me a gluten and dairy intolerance in this simulation is just sick. :rage:

4 Likes

I think it is holographic. I think Vogt is onto something quite profound. Even uncle Kenny Wheeler says it is fundamentally holographic in nature. He just doesn’t go behind the curtain where Vogt goes. A transmission dimension that broadcasts reality at light speed. The speed of light is not a speed at all but a rate of induction.

5 Likes

This theory had come around because the mathematics to our reality is so finely tuned some scientists have assumed it must be a simulation

The question that pushed this theory into obscurity is who and what is the make up of the reality the programmers exist in, you could on theory end up with a simulation in a simulation in a simulation and on and on.

Even if this is true our simulation is our reality so it matters not to us if it is a simulation.

2 Likes

This is like another “what if” post.

What if water is dry and desert sand is wet with moisture.

What if needs to have some visual evidence that it could be.

There’s a 100% chance of me smoking a bowl within the hour. No simulation necessary, just me and Mary Jane.

7 Likes

I think the simulation theory is the best analogy we have to try and understand our place in this universe. Its only through our technological advances that we can understand what an simulation actually is. Its probably why some of the ancients thought that we’re all living in some kind of an illusion or dream, as that was the only descriptive thing they had to try and explain it all, however, its very close to what the latest science is now telling us. Humans are the result of a conscious universe wanting to experience itself - IMHO.

1 Like

What if this earth it’s not a globe and what about beyond the ice wall what Oi behind the continent? Have an extraordinary living beyond us?

Yeah, I’d really like to meet the Coder who thought It would be humorous to make me stub my big toe, ripping back my nail, whoever you are, I hope your next sh*ts a hedgehog.

Just a thought, check this out in relation to your topic post.

3 Likes

So what? I still have to wake up and go to work and do my taxes and shit…
Until I find a way to “hack the matrix”, it makes no difference if its real or not…

3 Likes

I am waiting for someone to say WHAT IF they change the program so you do not have to that.

These discussions remind me of when why kids were young. The 5 most common words were “what if” “how come” and simply “why”

I propose a 4th proposition that was somehow overlooked.
4: the idea that we’re living in a reality simulation is preposterous.

I got IBS and bipolar. Not fair.

Who runs this GD simulation anyway?
:triumph:

1 Like

And what if it’s proven to be true
Obviously another gap for you to stick elshadai /jesus in

Surely Somewhere in the bibles you can find yet another vague verse that you can make imply that yahweh made our simulation.

Of course !! Eurika !!
The earth is a flat disc with windows !!!

There you go my medical insurance buying friend , I filled a gap with your god for you .

All we need to work out now is who programmed elshadai

2 Likes

I don’t doubt you are aware of this but worth posting anyhoo

2 Likes

You type i read blah blah blah i am a fake name boah blah blah.
Good blah

Hmmm…since were rummaging around in the Philosophy bag, wouldn’t the simulated Universe actually be a little more than nothing? It may be different to what we consider (or programmed to consider) ‘real’ to be, but even a computer game is…well, it’s a real computer game, so on some level is actually real.

2 Likes