FT.COM
'real but limited'

Iran eyes military targets in Europe if Trump escalates war, insiders claim

SUMMARY

Iran has weighed striking US military targets in Europe if Trump escalates the war, two people close to the regime claimed.

Iranian forces have assessed hitting US assets in south-eastern Europe, including Bulgaria, which last month cleared its Bezmer air base for American refuelling aircraft. Cyprus and subsea fibre-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz are also under consideration.

The threats track a hardening mood in Tehran, where Supreme Leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei last week elevated hardliners to senior security posts. Trump said Tuesday no talks are scheduled.

Analysts call the European threat real but limited. RUSI's Sidharth Kaushal said Iran's Shahab-series missiles would struggle to do damage at longer ranges. The IISS's Douglas Barrie said the attempted Diego Garcia strikes indicate Iran holds weapons exceeding 2,000 km, though how many, and whether Tehran would spend them on a statement, remains open.


▶︎ Click here for more breaking news